Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

It's All About The Pyrex

I have been pondering for two days on what my next blog post should be about (because I have so many ideas!). Well, it came to me in the kitchen while I was cooking dinner. One word: Pyrex. Oh the wonderful colors and patterns that filled kitchens of the past. Pyrex is my FAVORITE thing in the world. My aunt, Alison, turned me on to vintage Pyrex years back and since then I've searched high and low for any sign of Pyrex in thrift store, antique stores, and consignment shops. Over the past few years I grew my collection from 2 or 3 pieces to about 35 pieces. They've decorated the top of my cabinets and served as useful tools of the kitchen. I see so many blogs that feature vintage Pyrex simply as a design element and nothing more. And while that is fine and dandy, Pyrex is so much more than that. I bake, mix, and cook in all of my vintage Pyrex! If you take care of it properly you can do this without it showing any wear or tear. NEVER put Pyrex in the dishwasher, this will dull the color and shine of the pieces.

If you grew up in the 40's-70's you experienced the joy of Pyrex. When patterns were bright and vibrant. This is one of the many reasons why I love it, the story. In every vintage piece you obtain there is surely a story behind it, right? While in the kitchen cooking with your vintage Pyrex do you ever catch yourself thinking of who touched this? Or how many meals were prepared in this? I know I sure do! Whether it was a millworker who struggled to bring food home to the socialites who served all their fabulous parties in the latest Pyrex design. Whatever the story is behind these gorgeous pieces of the past, they are still very useful to this very day. I guess what I am trying to say is, don't let your vintage Pyrex collect dust on a shelf or in a cabinet. Whether you bought them at the thrift store or inherited them from your parents/grandparents, put them to use. Don't let their stories stop with you. Build memories and more with these goodies from the past. 



Well that was my thrifty advice for the day! I hope you found some inspiration in this posting. And maybe you'll think of the stories that lie within those "old" things in your home. 

Much love, 
The Old Soul 

No comments:

Post a Comment